• 225g (8 oz) uncooked macaroni
• 50g (2 oz) butter
• 2 1/2 tablespoons plain flour
• 275g (10 oz) grated mature Cheddar cheese
• 50g (2 oz) grated Parmesan cheese
• 750ml (1¼ pints) milk
• 30g (1 oz) butter
• 50g (2 oz) dried breadcrumbs
• pinch paprika
Prep:20min › Cook:30min › Ready in:50min
- Cook macaroni according to the package directions. Drain.
- In a saucepan, melt 50g butter over medium heat. Stir in enough flour to make a roux. Add milk to roux slowly, stirring constantly. Stir in cheeses and cook over low heat until cheese is melted and the sauce is a little thick. Put macaroni in large casserole or baking dish and pour sauce over macaroni. Stir well.
- Melt remaining butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs and brown. Spread over the macaroni to cover. Sprinkle with a little paprika.
- Bake at 180 C / Gas mark 4 for 30 minutes. Eat immediately.